Mathieu Miljavac is a taxidermist residing in Paris with an upcoming expo featuring his work.
1. What initially inspired you to move here or visit?
When I was 18, I moved here to start literature studies. I didn’t realize when I arrived that it would become my home.
2. Earliest Paris memory?
Going to the Printemps department store with my grandmother when I was 10. She used to buy hats there all the time!
3. Best neighbourhood you've ever lived in?
Where I am living now, the 2nd. It is one of the many small villages of Paris. Everyone gets to know each other. And everything is at a walking distance.
4. What's the best meal you've eaten in Paris?
A very simple “frisée aux lardons” at Chez Georges rue du Mail, that reminded me of the ones we used to make in the countryside when I was a kid.
5. Sexiest moment you've had in Paris?
When my boyfriend sent me a letter to ask me if we could date!
6. What do you hate most about living in Paris?
People disrespecting pigeons!
7. Who's your favourite Parisian — be they living or dead, real or fictional?
8. Favourite cinema?
MK2 quai de seine, such a nice place by the river.
9. Right bank or left bank? And why?
I have mostly lived on the right bank, it feels more alive to me. Although it is also nice to get lost in the old streets of the left bank.
10. Favourite Caviste?
The one by our apartment, Divinidé. They have the best Sancerre I have ever had! And it is on my way home after a long day in my taxidermy studio…
11. Where do you go to escape the city?
I go to Le Perche, 2 hours away from Paris, where friends of mine have an amazing house. I am opening a home decoration store there with one of them next month. I grew up in the countryside riding horses, so going back is something I do as often as possible.
12. Where are the best looking girls or boys in Paris and why?
In the summer time, on the banks of the river, having picnic. Because they all look happy and relaxed!
13. Where do you get your news?
The real news in our neighbourhood is the local gossip swapped on a Sunday morning on rue Montorgueil.
14. Favourite museum?
The Musée Rodin, with its tiny garden.
15. Favourite shop?
Les Mauvaises Graines. It's an amazing concept store in the 18th which I've always loved. And I'm supper happy that my exhibition is taking place there.
16. Who's the most stylish Paris personality?
Jacques de Bascher
17. What is your favourite film set in Paris?
Belle de Jour
18. What about Paris most inspires you?
Its intensity, as heavy as it can be sometimes…
19. What makes someone a Parisian?
You become a Parisian when you are able to sit down at a café terrace for two hours and read a book, or work on your laptop. Or just look at people passing by.
20. What's your favourite French word? (Swear words allowed!)